Friday, August 12, 2011

slow roasted spare ribs : Kaduuk Moo Aob (my mom’s recipe)




Another day I watched the cooking channel and saw the menu from Alex’s at home.  She made Chinese style ribs(I can’t remember the name of it) that made me think about another of my mom’s famous recipes the “slow roasted rib”.  When my mom had a catering business this was one of the dishes that people request all of the time.  She never told anyone the recipe except me and I already asked her permission for public which was OK.

The original recipe needed to use bite size cuts of spare ribs slowly cooked with garlic, galangal, cilantro root and all of the sauces to make a dish, but today when I went to the grocery store I found obstruction that tried to challenge me not to make a dish.  First I couldn’t find cilantro root and I kind of expected that so I used the stem instead.  Then I went to the meat section.  I couldn’t find the ribs that were cut like I needed them, so I asked the butcher to cut it but he said “he couldn’t cut it for me, because by the law they cannot use the saw that cuts beef to cut the pork!!!”  I didn’t know that before…but it is good to know though.  Ended up I bought the rack of ribs anyway, because nothing could stop me from making this dish!!!!   I tell you all these stories because that is all about modern Thai cooking like I said before that my blog it is all about applying things to make a Thai dish without trouble.

Note : you can also use country style ribs .

Ingredients

1 rack of ribs (about 3 Lbs)

1 head of garlic

1 tbsp. galangal chop

2 tbsp. cilantro stem chop

3 tbsp. rice vinegar

2 tbsp. sweet black soy sauce

3 tbsp. brown sugar

4 tbsp. soy sauce

¼ cup water

1 tbsp. vegetable oil

Cooking instructions

1.       In a ziplock bag add garlic, galangal, cilantro stem then use tenderizer and pound it until it becomes paste

Note : You can also use a blender, but my mom used a mortar and pastel .

2.       Preheat the pot to medium heat then add oil and paste #1.  Then stir it until it becomes golden brown then add ribs and all of the ingredients at the same time and bring it to a boil then turn the heat to low and cover with the lid.  Let it cook about 2 hours.

3.       After 2 hours let the lid open about 5 minutes to make the sauce concentrate and trim the fat from the top of the sauce off.

4.       Put the meat and sauce in the serving plate garnish with cilantro and a thin slice of red peppers (optional) serving with rice, noodle or eat just it like that!!!

Note:  if you don’t have galangal use ginger instead you will find the new dish that surprises you.


No comments:

Post a Comment