On the very pretty day make me think about a picnic amm… what should I pack to the picnic. Something that is easy to take and can eat in room temperature. “Khaw neaw-Moo ping” what is that?? Khaw neaw is a sticky rice that I have already told you how to make it in a rice blog, but what about Moo Ping?? Moo ping is a Thai style pork BBQ that is on a stick (but not satay). In Thailand we have a lot of our street foods on a stick. The reason why?? I think it’s because it makes it easy to carry and eat. We have meat balls on a stick, squid on a stick, hot dogs on a stick etc., but this pork on a stick is very popular in Thailand especially for breakfast because it fills you up and keeps you running all morning!!! But for me I like to make it as a lunch or dinner (my hubby cannot take too many heavy foods for breakfast).
Moo ping tastes kind of salty and sweet with the right combination of garlic and pepper flavor. For some venders they serve with Num Jim Moo ping. It is a sour, salty and a little bit of a sweet and spicy sauce that has the ingredients like Num-Jim-Jew (in my Tiger cry blog), but you need to use tamarind juice only not lime juice and it tastes a little bit sweeter(recipe follows). And don’t forget about the sticky rice too. Now let’s make it!!
1 pound pork chop sliced into ¼ inch thick
4 tbsp. oyster sauce
3 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. ground pepper
2 tbsp. find chop garlic or 3 tbsp. garlic powder
3 tbsp. oil
25 sticks sit in the water for skew
1. In ziplock bag pour all ingredients into the bag except pork, mix well.
2. Then add pork, massage pork and let the pork marinate about 1 hour.
3. Skew pork on to stick
4. Grill it on 350 F heat about 2-3 minutes each side or until it’s cooked
5. Serve with sticky rice and Num Jim moo ping
Num jim moo ping
3 tbsp. Tamarind juice
3 tsp. fish sauce or soy sauce
1 tsp. sugar
½ tsp. dry chili
1 tbsp. rice powder
1 tsp. slice green onion
1. In the sauce pan add tamarind juice, fish sauce and sugar into it then turn the heat in medium. Stir it until sugar dissolves and the sauce boil.
2. Pour sauce into serving bowl add rice powder dry chili and sliced green onion.