Monday, June 6, 2011

Tiger cry!!!


            Tiger cry or “Suer Rong Hai” is the name of this dish. Now you wander what kind of food I am talking about?  Actually it is marinated grilled steak.  This dish is from northeastern (E-sann) Thailand, but why is the name of it so funny.  I heard from my friend that because this grilled steak taste was so good it made a tiger cry, because he wanted to eat it.  That’s what he said, I don’t know how true it is maybe he wanted to joke with me so he made up this story who knows (If you have another theory please let me know)!!!  But one thing I know this dish tastes really good.  For the original recipe actually I have to tell you I don’t really know it, because different restaurants have their own recipe, but the main ingredient of rice powder(grounded toasted rice: recipe in Num Tok)  is always the same.  So one day I wanted to have Tiger cry so bad.  I made it my own recipe and it came out awesome.  Even my hubby loves it, so today I’ll share it with you.  Try it and please let me know what you think about this recipe.

Ingredients
1-2 pound top sirloin
2 tbsp. rice powder
2 tbsp. lime juice
2 tbsp. soy sauce or fish sauce
2 tsp. sugar
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. chili powder (optional you can also use Cajun pepper or chili flack to make it less spicy)
2 tbsp. thin slice green onion.

Cooking instructions
1.      In a ziplock bag mix all ingredients together except steak and mix well.
mixing the marinate

2.      Add steak, massage the meat and let it marinate  1 hour - 12 hours
Marinate steak

3.    At the grill preheat the grill till 375 F grill cook the meat 5 minutes per side for medium rare.  Or for the original cook well done about 7-8 minutes per side.
 Note : usually Thai folk eat our meat well done

4.      Take the stake out of the heat let it sit about 5 minutes for the juice of meat not run when you cut.



5.      Slice stake into bite size serve with Num jim jew (recipe follows)

Num Jim Jew
            Num Jim Jew is Thai E-sann dipping sauce is very common dipping sauce always served with northeastern style grilled food and also very easy too.  In the original recipe use tamarind  for sour component, but if you don’t have it use lime juice and add a dash of sugar to balance the taste.
Ingredients
2 tbsp. tamarind juice or lime juice
2 tbsp. fish sauce
2 tsp. rice powder
1-2 tap. Chili powder
¼ tsp. sugar (if need)
1 tsp. thin slice green onion (garnish)

Cooking instructions
 Very easy mix everything together and it is done!!!
Tiger cry with Dipping sauce

3 comments:

  1. My boyfriend loves Tiger Cry and I made this as a surprise for him tonight. He loved it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, the name story is so wrong. It's called Tiger Cry because of the sauce, its so spicy (thai spicy is in a group all its own, its in no way similiar to mexican spicy like many like to think, mex spicy doesn't even come close its that freaking hot) that it can make a tiger cry. And you're right, I'm a thai food lover and every place I've gone to, none of them make it the same. For anyone who reads, if you are down in the Houston area, I HIGHLY suggest you go to V's Thai Restaurant and Bar and order Tiger Cry there. You WILL NOT be disappointed at all. And the owner is from Thailand, so it is very authentic. Tell her Bella sent you, I used to eat 2-3 times a week every single week for years, til I moved outta state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the story. it's seem like a good one too!! and YES!! they never make it the same recipe because is a secret!!! glad you enjoy the recipe ;)

      Delete