Tiger cry or “Suer Rong Hai” is the name of this dish. Now you wander what kind of food I am talking about? Actually it is marinated grilled steak. This dish is from northeastern (E-sann) Thailand, but why is the name of it so funny. I heard from my friend that because this grilled steak taste was so good it made a tiger cry, because he wanted to eat it. That’s what he said, I don’t know how true it is maybe he wanted to joke with me so he made up this story who knows (If you have another theory please let me know)!!! But one thing I know this dish tastes really good. For the original recipe actually I have to tell you I don’t really know it, because different restaurants have their own recipe, but the main ingredient of rice powder(grounded toasted rice: recipe in Num Tok) is always the same. So one day I wanted to have Tiger cry so bad. I made it my own recipe and it came out awesome. Even my hubby loves it, so today I’ll share it with you. Try it and please let me know what you think about this recipe.
1-2 pound top sirloin
2 tbsp. rice powder
2 tbsp. lime juice
2 tbsp. soy sauce or fish sauce
2 tsp. sugar
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. chili powder (optional you can also use Cajun pepper or chili flack to make it less spicy)
2 tbsp. thin slice green onion.
1. In a ziplock bag mix all ingredients together except steak and mix well.
|mixing the marinate|
2. Add steak, massage the meat and let it marinate 1 hour - 12 hours
3. At the grill preheat the grill till 375 F grill cook the meat 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Or for the original cook well done about 7-8 minutes per side.
Note : usually Thai folk eat our meat well done
4. Take the stake out of the heat let it sit about 5 minutes for the juice of meat not run when you cut.
5. Slice stake into bite size serve with Num jim jew (recipe follows)
Num Jim Jew
Num Jim Jew is Thai E-sann dipping sauce is very common dipping sauce always served with northeastern style grilled food and also very easy too. In the original recipe use tamarind for sour component, but if you don’t have it use lime juice and add a dash of sugar to balance the taste.
2 tbsp. tamarind juice or lime juice
2 tbsp. fish sauce
2 tsp. rice powder
1-2 tap. Chili powder
¼ tsp. sugar (if need)
1 tsp. thin slice green onion (garnish)
Cooking instructionsVery easy mix everything together and it is done!!!
|Tiger cry with Dipping sauce|