Monday, January 31, 2011

Kai-Jeaw :Thai omelet


For me this menu is so common to everyone in Thailand and everybody knows it through memory, but you do not really see it in American restaurant menus.  I don’t know why, maybe because American people just assume that egg means breakfast so nobody orders them and it gets cut out of from the menu….Who knows?
Anyway Kai-Jeaw is very easy to make and everyone (that I know) loves it.  One day I cooked Kai Jeaw for my baby girl and my father in law who came to pick up something at my garage.  He smelled it.  He then walked to me and asked me to make it for him for lunch.  He loved it!! (He is a pretty picky eater just like my hubby).
For the recipe main ingredients of Kai-Jeaw is egg (Kai-mean egg), you can put anything in it just like omelets in America.  However, the most famous thing to put in it in Thailand is ground pork, onion and my favorite one is fermented ground pork (Nham), but when I’m in America sometimes it is hard to find Nham, that makes me miss Thailand very much.  One day I ate salami …oh my god !! I found a new treasure, since that day I have substituted my favorite for salami in any menu that calls for Nham …So let’s make it!!
Kai-Jeaw Salami : modern Thai food style
5-7 slice Salami quarter
Note: if you don’t like it just use ground meat or don’t put anything just leave it plain it’s fine with me!
3 eggs
1 1/2  tsp. fish sauce (soy sauce)
¼ cup of vegetable oil
1 tsp. chop fresh Thai chili or jalapeno (optional for make it spicy)
Cooking Instructions:
1.       In medium bowl beat egg add fish sauce(soy sauce), salami, chili (option)
2.       In the big pan heat oil in high heat until it is very hot (a little smoke comes up) reduce heat to medium high.

3.       Pour egg mixture in the hot oil wait about 1-2 minutes peak on one side if golden brown turn over the egg and cook the other side until golden brown. Take it off from the pan.
4.       Serve with steamed rice and siracha sauce( for me I also like to eat it with any kind of Thai spicy soup or curry.)

1 comment:

  1. Lovely. I've been wanting to learn how to make a simple and quick Thai dish. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete