This grilled chicken or Gai-Yang is a classic Thai northeastern Thailand (E-sann). When you go to Thailand you will see it at almost every E-Sann food vender, also you can find it with every street food vender that’s how famous this dish is. For me I love to eat it with sticky rice and sweet chili sauce. So this time I will give you the Grilled chicken recipe and sweet chili sauce.
4 pieces Quarter Chicken (leg & thigh)
6 gloves garlic minced
¼ cup vegetable oil
6 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. oyster sauce
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. sweet soy sauce for the color (If you don’t have don’t worry about it)
1. In a plastic bag mix garlic, oil, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, sweet soy sauce and mix well
|Chicken in marinate bag|
2. Put chicken into marinate bag, massage chicken and let it marinate at least 1 hr. (The more it marinates the more it tastes good)
|prepared to put it in the oven (It's rainy day,I can't grill)|
3. Turn on grill heat up to 400 F (or in the oven).
4. Grill Chicken about 7-10 minute per side, if oven bake about 30-40 minute or till it’s cooked.
5. Serve with sticky rice and sweet and sour chicken dipping sauce(recipe follow)
Sweet chili chicken dipping sauce (Num-Jim-Gai)
|ready to use sweet chili dipping sauce|
This sauce is common sauce that serve with Gai-Yang. You can also buy it ready to use at Thai grocery store.
2-5 fresh red Thai chili (or dried Thai chili)
2-3 glove garlic
½ cup sugar
½ cup white vinegar
1 tsp. corn starch
2 tbsp. water
1. In a small Ziplock bag put fresh Thai chili and garlic pound it with a pan or a tenderizer (whatever you have that’s heavy) until it becomes a chunky paste. If you use dried chilies just chop it.
2. In a small sauce pan add sugar, white vinegar, salt then bring it to a boil and then add chili paste.
3. In a small bowl mix corn starch and water till mix well.
4. Stir corn starch mixer into sauce keep stir until sauce thicken.
5. Turn the heat off pour in to the serving bowl.