This dish actually is a snack in Thailand called “Ka Ree Pup”. It has chicken potato and curry powder filling. I believe Thai people get this recipe from western style cooking because Thai food doesn’t use fried dough and potato. “Ka Ree pup” is very popular in one of our cities called “Sara-buri”, like when you go there you have to buy it for a souvenier (yes… in Thailand a lot of our souvenier’s are food). In the original recipe you need a special dough that just tastes like fried pie filling with potato chicken curry stuffing. It tastes savory and you cannot have just one!!! For me I don’t know how to make the original dough on the outside, so I tried to make it my modern Thai Food way and I discovered 2 ways that came out pretty good. My 1st way is to use a frozen puff pastry and it came out very good and the second one I made a tiny little tart (recipe from better home and garden 2000 cook book) and put the stuffing back in it and it tasted good and looked cute too. So let’s get started!!!
1 cup chicken breast ground or cut into ¼ inch cube (for vegetarian use mushrooms)
2 cup cooked potato cut into ¼ inch cube
1 cup dice onion cut
1 cup dice cooked carrot (if you don’t like it leave it out)
2 tbsp. curry powder (or 1 tbsp. turmeric powder)
2 tbsp. sugar
1-2 tbsp. salt
2- tsp. ground pepper
1 tsp. oil
1. Heat large pan on medium high heat add oil wait unit the oil hot add onion stir it till it is cooked
2. Add chicken and 1 tsp. sugar, salt, pepper stir it until cooked
3. Add cooked carrot and potato then add sugar, salt, pepper and curry powder stir it until mixed well.
4. Adjust the taste till you like turn the heat off let it cool before filling
½ cup cold butter
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 beaten egg yolk
2-3 tbsp. Ice water
1. In a mixing bowl cut butter into flour till pieces are pea-size. Stir together egg yolk and 1 tbsp. Ice water. Gradually stir egg yolk mixture into flour mixture. Add remaining water, 1 tbsp. at a time. till all the dough is moistened. Gently knead the dough just till a ball forms.
2. Divide the dough into a small size about 1 inch diameter and mole into small muffin pan use your finger to make a cup shape.
3. Bake in 375 F about 15 minute or until golden brown.
4. Let it cool. When it’s cool stuff with chicken curry stuffing garnish with cilantro and thin slice bell pepper.