Friday, March 4, 2011

Num Prick Oung : spicy tomato and meat sauce

Original VS spaghetti 

            In Thailand we have a lot of kinds of spicy dip we call them Num Prick.  Thai folk don’t eat dip like snacks in America, but we eat it as a main course with a lot of vegetables, fish and rice.  For Num Prick Oung it is a Northern Thai spicy dip.  I think it is very easy to make and a very good step for the person who wants to try real Thai food in another level from menu in a regular restaurant in America, because it is not too spicy.  For the recipe I got it from my aunt she came from north of Thailand, but since I cannot make the paste like the original, I substitute it with red curry paste to make easier to find the ingredients for me and you.  In the original we serve it with fresh cabbage, fried pork skin “Cap Moo”, sticky rice.  After I know more about western style cooking.  I realize this recipe is almost like pasta sauce.  So I try to serve it with spaghetti as a pasta sauce amm.. it came out pretty good.

Ingredient
2 tbsp.  red curry paste
½ pound ground pork
1 (16 zo) can dice tomato
¼ cup sherry tomato (optional)
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. fish sauce (1/2 tsp. salt)

Cooking instructions
1.      In the mixing bowl mix ground pork, red curry paste and tomato together


2.      In the medium pot add mixture, stir it until cooked

3.      Add sugar and fish sauce stir it until mixed well, keep stirring until it gets thicker (about 7-8 minutes)
How to serve
1.      The original serve with cabbage pork skin and sticky rice just like dip.

2.      For pasta serve over spaghetti just like meat sauce


You try it and tell me which one do you like more… 

1 comment: