Finally my favorite season fall is here. The weather and the atmosphere of it makes me feel like I’m in heaven.. also coming with fall are pumpkins. Just in case you want to try something different from pumpkin pie. You should try this recipe.
In Thailand we have not too many kinds of pumpkins like in America. I found out later that Pumpkin in Thailand is more like squash in America. So today I wanted to make a Thai dessert called “Custard pumpkin” by using 2 types of pumpkin or squash. One is called Carnival squash and the pumpkin is called Jack Be Little. Why I picked these 2 are because they are little, cute and also they come out tasting almost like Thai pumpkin, so I just decided to take the inside of it off and add Thai coconut custard into it and steam it. We serve this dish cold, so let’s get started cooking!!
4 Carnival squash or Jack Be Little pumpkin
½ cup + 2tbsp. coconut cream
½ cup of brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla or pandan extract
Note : Pandan is the plant that grows in Thailand and we use it in Thai food to flavor the food. You can find the extract in a Thai grocery.
1. Wash all of the pumpkins and take all of the inside out and wash well then let dry.
2. In the mixing bowl beat coconut cream, brown sugar, egg and pandan extract together until the sugar dissolves.
3. Strain the mixture with strainer then fill up the custard mixture into the pumpkin until it is full. Then put the pumpkin into a bowl.
4. The put the pumpkin with custard into the steamer and steam it about 20-30 minutes or until you can put the knife into the custard and it comes out clean.
5. Let it cool, then put it in the refrigerator and sever it when it is cold.