Satay is a meat marinated in the spices and coconut milk served with peanut dipping sauce and cucumber salad. In Thailand we also serve with some toast to dip into the peanut sauce. Actually in the original Thai recipe we use pork to make Satay called moo satay.
I never made Satay in Thailand!!! Yes it is true. Why??? Because, In Thailand you can find it in a lot of venders, so it is not worth the trouble to make it at home right. The first time I made it was about 5 years ago and I made it for my host parents’ home and they loved it. I used ready to marinate Satay seasoning. They have all of the marinate in an envelope and peanut dipping sauce in an envelope already so you just need meat and coconut milk. Later on I wanted to figure out how to make it from scratch, so I tried all of the ingredients and came out this recipe was easy to find the ingredients and not too much trouble to make it!!
1 lb. chicken
2 cube grounded chicken bouillon cube
4 tbsp. Sugar
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. turmeric
1 cup coconut milk for marinate
¼ cup coconut milk for brush the meat while grilling
Peanut dipping sauce
2 tbsp. Musaman curry paste
1 ¼ cup coconut milk
3 tbsp. peanut butter
¼ cup ground peanut
2 tbsp. Sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 cucumbers cut into quarter then slice them about ¼ inch thick
1 jalapeño slice
2 shallot or red onion slice
½ cup sugar
½ cup white vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1. Cut chicken into strip about ¼ inch thick
2. Into mixing bowl add sugar, salt, chicken bouillon, turmeric, and coconut milk stir it until mixed well then add chicken and mix it until the marinate covers every piece of chicken. Then let it sit at least 2 hours.
3. Put the marinated meat into the skewer then grill it about 2-3 minutes per side brushing with coconut milk on each side of it while grilling.
1. In the sauce pan add coconut milk and curry paste, stir it fast until it becomes oily (Call Ka-ti Tak mun)
2. Add peanut butter, sugar and salt keep stirring then add ground peanut stir until mixed well.
1. Into sauce pan add sugar, vinegar, salt turn the heat on stir until sugar and salt dissolve, then let it boil about 5 minutes, turn it off and let it cool.
2. When the dressing cools pour it over the cucumbers, slice shallot and jalapeno.