Thursday, September 15, 2011

Khaw mun Gai



This dish is one of my favorite street foods.  Khaw mun Gai is a twin of Singapore chicken and rice.  The dish will come with boiled chicken, rice cooked in chicken stock, chicken soup, cucumber and special sauce.  In Thailand you can find this dish almost anywhere on the street which I call a comfort food to me.  Since I moved here I don’t really see Khaw mun Kai much, so I tried to make it myself. Fortunately my friend and sister in law “Benz” knows how to make it.  She told me the recipe and I made it for the first time when I was staying with my host parents.  I brought it to them to test the results…. they love it!!  Since then this dish became my favorite menu to cook for my friends and family.  My hubby and my little one love it.  Amm… since I cook this dish I never see anyone who doesn’t like this dish that is how good it is, so you should try it!!!

Note:  The recipe sounds complicated, but I will separate it to 3 easy steps to follow

1. Chicken and soup

2. Rice

3. Sauce 

Ingredients : serves 6 ; cooking time 2hrs 30 min

Step 1. Soup and chicken

4 quarts of water

4 -5 lb. whole chicken

1 branch cilantro

1 head garlic cut into a half

1 tsp. salt

6 tsp. soy sauce

Cooking instructions

1.       In a large pot (about 6 quarts) add water and turn the heat on to high heat and bring it to a boil

2.       Meanwhile add the garlic and cilantro into herb bag and close


Note: herb bag is the bag I sew it myself by using a thin white cloth made into a bag to keep the herbs together in the stock.

3.       When the water is boiling add chicken, salt, herb bag and soy sauce into it, bring it to a boil again then lower the heat into medium heat.  Let it cooked for 1 hr.

4.       After 1 hr. skim the fat, part of the stock is reserved for cooking the rice with the stock.



Rice

6 cups chicken stock with fat part

3 cups jasmine rice

3 gloves of garlic

Note: in the original recipe use 1 cup of sticky rice and 2 cups of jasmine rice it will take a longer time to cook it (about 1 hr.)will make the rice a little bit stickier.

Cooking instructions

1.       Bring the stock to a boil then add rice and garlic stir 1 time then turn the heat to low and let it simmer about 30- 45 minutes

   Sauce

¼ cup Soy bean paste

¼ cup chicken stock

3 tbsp. sugar

3 tbsp. fine mince ginger

3 tbsp. fine mince garlic

2 tbsp. lime juice

1 tbsp. chop chili (optional)

Cooking instructions

1.       in the blender add all of the ingredients  into it then blend it about  1-3 pause

2.       serving with rice chicken and soup with cucumber.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, finally! This is one of my all time fave comfort foods. I lived on it in Perth, Australia. Now in Oxfordshire in the UK, you can't get this ANYWHERE. I've often thought of making it myself, and now I can! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoy this recipe like me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. and just the other day, I made it for my family. 'why is this the first time we've had this Dad' was what I got. I did a speedy version. I had lots of home made chicken stock in the freezer and bought chicken breast which I poached in the stock. The ginger/garlic/lime sauce was just the best. Thank you again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes!! I agree that the fast way to make it!!! I'm so happy that you enjoin it :)

    ReplyDelete